Saturday, August 27, 2016

Summer Summary Pt. 3: Building My Wing Stand

     Once things had calmed down after my return from OSH, I could get back into getting more flight instruction and other prep work.  Around mid-August I bought the materials required to build my wing stand, based on these plans found on the internet, which I modified slightly.  There are a lot of different designs out there, but I liked this one the most.  It's simple and it holds the wings securely.
     I used two 10' 2x6s, six 8' 2x4s, 12' of carpet runner 26" wide with rubber backing, and four large casters (two with brakes; two without).  I cut all my lengths in advance and used good wood glue and screws to assemble it.  Instead of the stud plates shown in this drawing, I cut triangular gusset plates out of 1/4" plywood to reinforce the center studs on both sides and some side studs.  I will have to wait until I have the wings on it to determine the right anchor point for the outboard carpet ends and attach and trim them.  But it's essentially ready to go, and it was a very quick and easy build.

No comments:

Post a Comment